So I don’t often use Little Jedi in posts–for several reasons that I won’t go into just now, because this isn’t that sort of post. Sometimes, though, he says something so funny or so wise that I have to write it down. Here are some of my favorite pop culture conversations with him from the past year:
1. “Batman doesn’t have Friendly Days.”
2. “I want my hair like Bruce Wayne’s. Parted to the side. Or like a punk rocker, in a mohawk.”
3. Little Jedi: He screamed like a girl.
Me: That’s not very nice. I mean, girls don’t scream more than boys, do they? Or do boys scream different than girls?
Little Jedi: (thinking…) Um, nope.
Me: I vote that we say “screaming like a banshee” instead.
Little Jedi: What’s a banshee?
Me: It’s a made up creature like zombies and vampires, only it’s a witch sort of thing that has a loud scream.
Little Jedi: What if we say “screaming like Batman”?
Sam: Batman never screams.
4. Me: What do you mean, deconstructed?
Little Jedi: Well, it means it got deconstructed in the deconstructor. Like in Star Wars.
5. “Oh, man. Who put Darth Vader in the bathroom?”
6. “I don’t feel very much like a super-hero right now.”
7. “This is my robot. His name is Monster Man Gun Travel. He’s a monster with a gun, and he travels.”
8. Little Jedi: Hey, that’s where the Saints play!
Sam and I: Yep. They’re playing there tonight.
Little Jedi: Who is defeating them?
9. Little Jedi to Darth Maul: But you’re a bad guy, so you cannot join my team. Little Jedi as Darth Maul: I’m bad.
Little Jedi to Darth Maul:Ok, well then you cannot join my team.
10. Little Jedi: Are vampires real?
Me: No, they’re just in stories.
Little Jedi: Aw, man.
11. Little Jedi: What have you been doing this week?
Me: I’ve been reading and napping.
Little Jedi: What are you reading?
Me: The Sound and the Fury.
Little Jedi: What’s that about?
Me: It’s a complicated story about a family.
Little Jedi (to Sam): Mommy also has a book called The…The…The Golden Compress about a little girl and a bear and a mouse that can turn into anything.
12. Sam: Little Jedi has 2 girlfriends. I’m gonna have to warn him about that. He’s a little lady killer.
Me: Oh good grief.
Little Jedi: I’m a little lady carrot?!
13. Little Jedi sings the beginning of The Lion King: Hi Apennya, Deet Deet Deet Sapenya.