I’d say I hoard words, but really they’re more of a collection than a hoard. I don’t hide them away. I use them, and I always have. I suppose part of that is Gene’O’s fault. When I was a wee one, Gene’O thought it was fun to teach me words, fun to hear me say ten-dollar vocabulary words in my wee-baby Diana voice. I’m sure it was.
It was also fun for me. I remember enjoying the attention that a small child with a large vocabulary gets. I remember bouncing on the bed, using words that I’d learned that day in sentences so that I’d remember them. I remember gobbling up books and words.
I still do. And along the way, I’ve picked up some words that I just love. Here are a few of them:
1. Lagniappe. (Something thrown in for good measure, something extra.)
2. Talisman. (A good luck charm.)
3. Quintessential. (Absolutely essential.)
4. Proverbial. (Well-known.)
5. Opulent. (Luxurious.)
6. Kerfuffle. (Commotion, fuss.)
7. Befuddle. (Confuse.)
8. Amorphous. (Shapeless.)
9. Myriad. (A great number.)
10. Jobler. (A person who does odd jobs.)
11. Eclectic. (Uses multiple sources.)
12. Zenith. (High point.)
13. Starrify. (To decorate with stars.)