Today, I turn 31.
It’s a number I had difficulty imaging for myself when I was younger. Not that I thought I wouldn’t make it to 31 or anything–it’s more that I had trouble visualizing what I’d be like at 31. It seemed like such an Adult age, such a grown-up number.
Last year, I talked a little bit about the things that I was about to do and the things that I thought-I-should-be-about-to-do.
In the past year, I’ve done oh so much. Thirty was a good, if difficult, age. And in the spirit of the day, my 13 Thursday is devoted to Things I Want to Do While I’m 31.
1. Play with penguins. The Audubon Zoo here in NOLA offers penguin encounters, and I love creatures of all sorts. I want to play with a penguin.
2. Meet more people in New Orleans. I have some wonderful friends (and family!) in the area, but without having ever worked or gone to school in the city, I only know a few people here. I’d like to branch out a bit and start making some new friends here now that I feel at home in the city.
3. Learn more Spanish. I know just a little bit—not enough to hold a real conversation. Now that Little Jedi is in a Spanish immersion program, I’d like to get at least the fundamentals down.
4. Take a glassblowing class. There’s a studio here in NOLA, and I’d like to see what it’s like.
5. Spend more time with our families. We get really busy, and I forget this one too easily, it gets shuffled aside. But we have some family members who are really cool, and we need to see them more often.
6. Go somewhere new. I like to travel. We’re fairly limited right now in or time off and funding, but there are lots of places, even nearby, that we’ve never been. So going somewhere new is on the list.
7. Start swimming again. Yoga is ok. I’m enjoying the calm, slow strength of it. But I love swimming. At some point, I stopped swimming, starting being more afraid of the bathing suit than comfortable in the water. Screw that. Time to swim again.
8. Host a grown up dinner party. I’ve got a fairly grown-up house and grown-up dishes and live a fairly grown-up life, but I’ve never hosted a grown-up dinner party. I’d like to do that this year.
9. Get a new tattoo. I have two, and I love them. Sam’s Valentine’s Day gift to me was a new tattoo, and I can’t wait to have it done.
10. Make something. I used to be a rather crafty person, but I haven’t made anything in a while. Watching the Mardi Gras costumers, though, especially those with fantastic homemade costumes, made me want to start creating things again.
11. Take a class (or several) on social media.
12. Bake more often. I used to enjoy baking, but I haven’t done it in a while. I’d like to do it again.
13. Make Part Time Monster a .com site. I’m thinking on this one, but I want the blog to be revamped and with its own address.